Tuesday, November 23, 2010

Only

What is your good name?
Bianca
Priyanka! That is an Indian name, only!
No, no. BEEEianca.
Oh..
From which country do you belong?
Canada
Are you married?
No
Unmarried!?!?
Unmarried
(...silence...)

What is your age?
32
How come you are unmarried?
(....smiling silence....)
How much do you charge at your job?
Uh... (smile)
How much do you charge?
(....smiling silence....)
Why are you in India, only?
because I love it here, only.

Only
Only now I am slightly frustrated about some cultural norms of this country.
Indians try to get away with whatever they can,
isn't it?
I am in perpetual battle, constant.
Being is a challenge, only

Head bob....

I only wish I didn't have to haggle
I only wish I had work papers
I only wish for toilet paper in public washrooms
I only wish for disco clubs and metered yellow cabs
only.
I think I need a hug, isn't it?
Like that.
A hug,
Only.

No comments: